President Joe Biden has reportedly been informed by US military advisers that he must decide by Tuesday whether to keep the nearly 6,000 US troops currently in Kabul aiding evacuations past the withdrawal deadline of August 31.

If Biden agrees to an extension, the military anticipates "a few more days" of evacuations past August 31, as many people as logistically possible before the drawdown would begin towards the end of this week, according to CNN.

On Monday, Biden was still deciding whether or not to extend the deadline. Due to the security situation on the ground, several of Biden's advisors have made recommendations against the extension.

Biden is set to join a virtual G-7 meeting to discuss the evacuation in Afghanistan with Germany's Angela Merkel and the UK's Boris Johnson, among other leaders. When asked what his response would be to G-7 leaders urging an extension, Biden said  "We'll see what we can do."

British Defense Secretary Ben Wallace told Sky News it was "unlikely" that the August 31 deadline would be extended, citing security risks as the deadline looms closer.

"As we get closer it's correct to say the security risk goes up, it gets more and more dangerous," said Wallace. "Add-on groups and other terrorist groups like ISIS would like to be seen taking credit, would like to be seen chasing the West out of Afghanistan - that will feed their narrative and ambitions."

"The Taliban control the outer ring outside the airport, which makes it harder for ISIS to get through and they're certainly no friends of the Taliban," Wallace continued. "But we're very vulnerable should a terrorist choose to do something."

Speaking with the press on Sunday, Biden said that he would consider an extension of the deadline. The Taliban has made it known that there "would be consequences" if the United States stays past the end of the month.

"There's discussions going on among us and the military about extending.  Our hope is we will not have to extend, but there are going to be discussions, I suspect, on how far along we are in the process," Biden said on Sunday.

"We discussed a lot with the Taliban. They've been cooperative in extending some of the perimeter," said Biden, who added, "So far the Taliban has not taken action against US forces. So far they have, by and large, followed through on what they said in terms of Americans to pass through, and the like. And I'm sure they don't control all of their forces. It's a rag tag force."

Taliban spokesperson Dr. Suhail Shaheen told Sky News that the August 31 deadline is a "red line."

"It's a red line. President Biden announced that on 31 August they would withdraw all their military forces. So if they extend it that means they are extending occupation while there is no need for that," said Shaheen.

"If the US or UK were to seek additional time to continue evacuations - the answer is no. Or there would be consequences. It will create mistrust between us. If they are intent on continuing the occupation it will provoke a reaction," he continued.

Following the Taliban interview with Sky News,  US Department of Defense press secretary John Kirby said: "We have seen the public statements by the Taliban spokesman about their views on 31 August, I think we all understand that view."

"The goal is to get as many people out as fast as possible, and while we're glad to see the numbers that we got yesterday, we're not going to rest on any laurels," Kirby added.