The Trudeau Liberals promised business owners they would mandate proof of vaccination if re-elected on September 20. A concern of many is the fear of legal action against private enterprise, which the party says will address the issue.
"[Before we address the economy], we have to get out of this pandemic first," said Prime Minister Justin Trudeau during Thursday's leadership debate.
"And that's why the unequivocal leadership that we've shown as a government on making sure that everyone gets vaccinated is what's going to get us [through the pandemic]," he added. "We cannot rebuild the economy until we get through this pandemic."
"We are unequivocal on vaccines."
"That’s how we’re going to keep Canadians safe and finish the fight against COVID-19," tweeted the Liberal Party.
Per the party's website, they've heard from Canadians that they want to finish the fight against COVID-19.
"Millions of Canadians have rolled up their sleeves and gotten their vaccine shots, doing so to protect themselves and their community," the platform reads.
"Across the country, thousands of business owners have demonstrated leadership to support vaccine rollout, and now many want to go further.
"Whether they are managing a multinational or a small coffee shop, business owners should not doubt that putting the safety of workers, customers, or clients first is the right thing to do."
The party claims that proof of vaccination systems gives people the confidence to know that others are fully vaccinated. They said it would "increase vaccination rates" and "give Canadians confidence that it’s safe to go to restaurants, shops, and out into their communities."
84.1 percent of eligible Canadians have received at least one dose of a COVID-19 vaccine as of September 4. 77.5 percent of Canadians 12 and older are fully vaccinated.
If re-elected, the Trudeau Liberals will:
- Launch a $1 billion COVID-19 Proof of Vaccination Fund to support provinces and territories that implement a requirement for proof of vaccine credentials in their jurisdiction for non-essential businesses and public spaces.
- Table legislation to ensure every business and organization that requires proof of vaccination from employees and customers can do so without fear of a legal challenge.
If re-elected, the Trudeau Liberals will also:
- Require that travellers on interprovincial trains, commercial flights, cruise ships, and other federally regulated vessels be vaccinated.
- Ensure vaccination across the federal public service. As the country’s largest employer, this will protect the health and safety of the federal public servants and their communities, across Canada.
- Keep working with employers in Crown corporations and federally regulated workplaces to ensure vaccination is prioritized for workers in these sectors.